Did you know that alcohol actually causes stress? According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, research shows that alcohol triggers the release of stress hormones from the brain and pituitary and adrenal glands.
THINK SAFE for your body and those around you by opening up to family and friends, going for a long walk, or giving yourself some time to relax rather than consuming alcohol.
Five Strategies for Coping in Stressful Situations
1. Open up with one-on-one communications.
2. Get outside, smell some fresh air and seek nature’s natural high.
3. Get physical to produce the best natural drugs for calming nerves.
4. Faith over fear. Worry less, trust more. Have faith in a higher power.
5. Play at work and work at play and stop being a serious stuffed shirt.
Eight Strategies for Conflict Resolution
1. When angry, separate yourself from the situation and take time to cool out
2. Attack the problem, not the person.
3. Start with a compliment.
4. Communicate your feelings assertively, NOT aggressively
5. Express them without blaming.
6. Focus on the issue, NOT your position about the issue.
7. Accept and respect that individual opinions may differ, don’t try to force compliance
8. Work to develop common agreement.
Massage and Deep Relaxation
Massage is touch. It is used for many different reasons. Simple massage techniques can be used anytime or anywhere in order to relax and relieve stress.
Self Massage can be followed by 10 minutes of deep relaxation. We lie flat on our backs with arms and legs slightly apart and palms turned to the ceiling. Put on some relaxing instrumental music. Progressively become aware of different body parts staring from the tips of your toes. Send a wave of relaxation to that part of the body. Work your way up to the top of the head. Feel that your entire boy is completely and totally relaxed.
Five Strategies for Improved Time Management
- Do the unpleasant things first, so your mind will be released of the burden.
- Break your day into two hour sessions and set a deadline for what you want to accomplish. List the six things you want to accomplish in this session. At the end of that, look back and ask, “How did I do?” Set more goals the next two hour period. If there are some things you haven’t been able to finish, simply move them on to the next session.
- If you always say yes, others will take your help for granted. Break this habit.
- Focus your efforts on something that matters and show results in this field.
- Mastering successful work has to do with increasing our awareness, focusing our concentration and increasing energy. When these three come together we become very much more alive and very engaged in life.