Adrian Gore is a leading South African businessman and entrepreneur who founded the global diversified financial services group, Discovery, in 1992. He is an actuary by qualification, and has been admitted as a Fellow of the Actuarial Society of South Africa, a Fellow of the Faculty of Actuaries (Edinburgh), an Associate of the Society of Actuaries (Chicago), and is also a member of the American Academy of Actuaries. He currently serves as CEO of the Discovery Group, which generates total income flows in excess of R40bn across South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States and China. The group covers approximately 4.3 million customers globally.
Adrian has been recognised internationally as a thought leader in the areas of healthcare and wellness, having authored papers on modelling healthcare reform, as well as on healthcare financing, delivery and structuring. He has presented papers on both healthcare and wellness in a number of global forums, including to the South African Actuarial Society and the Healthcare Section of the International Actuarial Association, as well as to think tanks and governmental agencies in the United States, including The National Institute for Healthcare Management in Washington, D.C. Adrian is a delegate of the World Economic Forum, and in 2009, was appointed to the World Economic Forum Global Health Advisory Board, a component of the World Economic Forum that is committed to improving the state of global healthcare; the twelve-member board includes representation from leading multi-national organisations, academic institutions, and the World Health Organisation.
Adrian is committed to business and societal development, and in this regard, serves as Chairman of Endeavor South Africa (a global non-profit organisation focused on identifying and developing entrepreneurial talent), is a former board member of the International Marketing Council of South Africa (the custodian of Brand South Africa), and is a former board member of The Ethics Institute of South Africa. He has been recognised as South Africa’s Leading Entrepreneur by Ernst&Young (1998), was nominated as South Africa’s Leading CEO by a peer group of South African CEOs in the annual MoneyWeb CEOs CEO of the Year Awards (2004, finalist 2006), as well as winning the South African Leading Managers Award, an initiative of the Corporate Research Foundation and Business Report (2006). Adrian also won the Investec Award for Considerable Contribution in a Career/Profession (2008). In November 2010 Adrian was chosen as the Sunday Times Business Leader of the Year.
Adrian is married to Lauren, has two daughters and a son. He is an avid runner.
- Discovery Holdings Limited
- Discovery Life Limited
- Discovery Health (Pty) Ltd
- Discovery Invest (Pty) Ltd
- The Vitality Group (USA)
- Vitality Lifestyle (Pty) Ltd
- Prudential Health (UK)
- PruProtect (UK)
- Ping An Health (China)
- World Economic Forum Global Health Advisory Board
- South African Jewish Board of Education (Former Chairman)
- Endeavor SA (Chairman)
- International Marketing Council (former director)
- Ethics Institute of South Africa (former director)
- Global Health Advisory Board of the World Economic Forum
- Massachusetts General Hospital Global Health Advisory Board
Business Leadership Recognition
- Ernst & Young SA Best Entrepreneur 1998
- SA Jewish Business Achiever Award 2000
- Moneyweb CEO’s CEO of the Year
- Investec Award for a Considerable Contribution in a Career – 2008
- Sunday Times Business Leader of the Year 201
- The Search for Successful Health Insurance Principals in a Changing South African Healthcare Environment, 1993
- Actuarial Analysis of the Impact of SA Healthcare Reform, 1997
- A Case for Consumer Engagement in the Funding of Healthcare, 2007